Rice with Garbanzos and Currants
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 1 cup long-grain rice
- 1/4 cup white wine (optional)
- 2 cups fresh or canned chicken stock, or water
- 1 (15 ounce) can garbanzo beans (chick-peas, ceci), drained or 1 cup dried garbanzo beans, soaked overnight and boiled for 45 minutes, until tender
- 1/2 cup dried currants or raisins
- Juice of 1 lemon
- Salt and freshly-ground pepper, to taste
- Chopped parsley (for garnish)
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan over moderate heat. Sauté the onions until translucent,
about 5 minutes.
- Add the rice and stir to thoroughly coat the rice with the oil. Add the optional
wine and cook for 2 minutes.
- Add the chicken stock or water and the remaining ingredients and simmer covered
over low heat for 15 to 20 minutes, until the rice is done.
- Sprinkle with the chopped parsley.
Serves 4 to 6.
This page may contain affiliate links. Any purchases made through these links help support Recipegoldmine.com at no additional cost to you. Please see our Disclosure Policy.