This favorite Middle Eastern dessert just got better. This rolled version gives the crunchy, sweet confection a new look, but still delivers exquisite crunch and sweetness.
- 1 cup finely ground California walnuts (pulsed in a food processor)
- 1/4 cup panko breadcrumbs
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground clove
- 12 sheets phyllo dough; thawed
- 1/2 stick unsalted butter; melted
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 cup light corn syrup
- 2 whole cloves
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1/2 lemon
- Heat oven to 325 degrees F.
- Combine walnuts, panko breadcrumbs, sugar, cinnamon and clove in a mixing bowl and stir to evenly combine.
- Lay 1 sheet of phyllo on a large cutting board and lightly brush with melted butter. Lay another sheet of phyllo on top and lightly brush the second sheet with melted butter. Keep remaining phyllo covered with a damp towel until use.
- In a straight line, sprinkle 1/6 walnut mixture parallel and 2 inches from the bottom of phyllo. Fold bottom over mixture and roll all the way to the end. Brush top of phyllo with butter to seal the roll. Gently scrunch both ends into
center of roll, trim approximately 1 inch from both ends and place in a greased 9 x 6-inch baking dish. Brush top with butter.
- Repeat with the remaining phyllo creating 6 rolls total. Brush all rolls once more with butter.
- Bake for 40-45 minutes or until golden brown.
- Meanwhile prepare the syrup. Combine all ingredients for syrup in a saucepan over high heat. Stir together and bring to a boil. Let boil for 4 minutes. Remove from heat and let rest.
- Remove rolls from oven and cut each into 3 pieces. Strain syrup over rolls and allow to soak for at least 30 minutes at room temperature.
- Gently remove baklava from baking dish and arrange on a large serving platter. Best at room temperature.
Total: 1 hr 45 min | Yield: 6 servings
Nutrition Information: Calories 469 cal Total Fat 18 g Polyunsaturated Fat 7 g Cholesterol 20 mg Sodium 202 mg Carbohydrates 74 g Dietary Fiber 2 g Protein 5 g
Recipe by Mike Isabella
Recipe and photo used with permission from:
This page may contain affiliate links. Any purchases made through these links help support Recipegoldmine.com at no additional cost to you. Please see our Disclosure Policy.