- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 scallions, chopped
- 1 1/2 cups cooked spinach or defrosted frozen chopped spinach
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
- 2 tablespoons snipped dill
- 8 ounces feta cheese, crumbled
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/2 package phyllo pastry
- 1/2 to 3/4 cup melted butter
- In a saucepan, heat the olive oil and gently cook the scallions in it until tender.
Stir in the spinach and cook for 5 minutes, stirring to help evaporate excess moisture.
Season to taste with salt and pepper and the nutmeg. Off the heat, stir in the snipped
dill, then stir in the feta and the eggs. Let this filling cool completely.
- To make the spanakopitas, heat the oven to 375 degrees F.
- Lay 2 sheets of phyllo out and cover the rest with plastic wrap. Cut the pastry
lengthways into 3 strips. Work with one strip and keep the others covered. Brush
the strip with melted butter then place a heaped teaspoon of the mixture at the
bottom. Roll it up, tucking in the edges. Place it seam side down on a baking sheet
and lightly brush the surface with more butter. Proceed this way until all the filling
- Bake for 20 minutes or until golden.
- Serve warm or cold.
Makes 25-30 rolls.
This page may contain affiliate links. Any purchases made through these links help support Recipegoldmine.com at no additional cost to you. Please see our Disclosure Policy.