Semolina Almond Syrup Cake
with Syrup (Revani)
- 2 1/2 cups granulated sugar, divided
- 3 cups cold water
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 3 whole cloves
- 1 orange (peel only)
- 1/2 pound sweet butter
- 6 eggs, room temperature
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup fine semolina
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 cup blanched, peeled almonds, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons brandy
- Combine 1 1/2 cups of the sugar with the cold water in a saucepan and cook until
dissolved, then add the cinnamon stick, cloves, and orange peel and simmer for 15
minutes. Remove the flavorings. Cool.
- Using an electric mixer, beat the butter in a large bowl until fluffy. Gradually
add the remaining sugar, beating on medium speed, then add the eggs, one at a time,
beating thoroughly after each addition, without rushing.
- Meanwhile, sift the flour, semolina, baking powder and almonds together. Very
gradually add to the batter, beating on medium speed, then pour in the vanilla extract
and brandy and give the batter a last whirl on high speed for a few seconds.
- Pour immediately into a buttered 9 x 13-inch cake pan and bake on the center rack of
a moderate oven (350 degrees F) for 30 to 35 minutes, or until the cake springs
back when touched by a finger.
- Remove from the oven and set the pan on a cake rack.
Using a sharp knife, score the cake into diamond shapes. Spoon the cooled syrup
over the entire cake and cool.
- Each piece may be attractively garnished with a candied or maraschino cherry
slice in the center and almond slivers angled on each side.
This page may contain affiliate links. Any purchases made through these links help support Recipegoldmine.com at no additional cost to you. Please see our Disclosure Policy.