Spanakopita (Spinach-Cheese Pie)
- 2 pounds fresh spinach
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup cream sauce
- 6 eggs, beaten
- 1 cup finely-crumbled feta cheese
- Salt and pepper
- Dash of nutmeg
- 1/2 pound phyllo pastry sheets
- Butter, melted
- Wash spinach and discard stems. Dry thoroughly on absorbent paper and cut into
- Sauté onion in butter until soft.
- Add spinach and sauté a few minutes longer.
- Cool. Add cream sauce, eggs, cheese and seasonings. Mix well.
- Place 7 layers
of phyllo pastry sheets in an 11 x 14 x 2-inch pan, brushing each sheet well with
melted butter. Add spinach mixture, then place 8 phyllo pastry sheets on filling,
again buttering each sheet.
- Bake at 350 degrees F for about 30 minutes, or until crust is golden brown.
- Cut into small squares before serving.
Yields 16 squares.
This page may contain affiliate links. Any purchases made through these links help support Recipegoldmine.com at no additional cost to you. Please see our Disclosure Policy.