Stuffed Eggplant (Melitzanes Papoutsakia)
- 2 medium onions, finely chopped
- 1 pound minced meat (lamb preferred)
- 1/4 cup butter
- 2 medium tomatoes, chopped
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- Chopped parsley
- 1 egg, slightly beaten
- 1/2 cup grated hard Greek cheese
- 2 tablespoons dry bread crumbs
- 2 1/4 pounds aubergine (about 12)
- 1 cup Béchamel Sauce
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 1/2 cups tomato sauce
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 3 tablespoons flour
- Dash of nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup milk
- Eggplant: Brown onions and meat lightly in butter, stirring constantly. Add tomatoes,
salt and pepper. cook covered for about 15 minutes.
- Remove from heat. Add parsley,
egg, 1/4 cup cheese and bread crumbs.
- On the 'top' of each aubergine, peel an inch strip from one end to the
other and make an incision along strip to within an inch of each end. Place in baking
dish and bake in moderate oven (about 350 degrees F) until soft and light brown
(about 30-45 minutes). Insert knife blade into incision and stuff with meat mixture.
- Bechamel Sauce: Melt butter over low heat; add flour, salt, pepper and
nutmeg; stir until well blended. Remove from heat. Gradually stir in milk and return
to heat. Cook, stirring constantly, until thick and smooth. Add the egg and remaining
cheese to the sauce. Pour about a tablespoon on top of each aubergine. Sprinkle
with additional grated cheese and dot with butter. If desired, add tomato sauce
to the pan.
- Bake in a moderate oven for about 35 minutes.
This page may contain affiliate links. Any purchases made through these links help support Recipegoldmine.com at no additional cost to you. Please see our Disclosure Policy.