Afghan-Style Catfish Stew
Serve with hot cooked Basmati rice for an authentic meal.
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup ghee or vegetable oil
- 1 cup water
- 1 (28 ounce) can whole tomatoes, drained and chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 1/2 pounds catfish fillets, cut into 2-inch pieces
- Hot cooked Basmati or regular rice
- Cook and stir onion and garlic in ghee in 10-inch skillet over medium heat until
onion is tender and light brown.
- Stir in water, tomatoes, salt, turmeric, coriander
and pepper. Heat to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer uncovered, stirring occasionally,
- Gently stir fish into vegetable mixture. Cover and cook over medium heat until
fish flakes easily with fork, about 5 minutes.
- Sprinkle with chives.
- Serve with rice.
Yields 4 servings.
Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged
and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.
>> Indian Recipes