Butter Chicken or Murgh Makhani is a classic Indian recipe.
- 14 ounces skinless, boneless chicken thighs or breasts
- 2 to 3 tablespoons
- 1 onion
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons crushed garlic
teaspoons crushed ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 to 2 teaspoons ground
- 1 tablespoon coriander
- 1/4 to 1/2 cup ground almonds
- 1 (8 ounce)
can whole peeled tomatoes with juice
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1/2 cup unsweetened
- Trim and cut the chicken into small cubes; cover and put aside.
- Slice the onion into thin wedges (lyonnaise).
- Heat a large saucepan or frying pan and melt butter until it is frothy.
- Add the
onions and the cinnamon to the pan and fry lightly.
- When the onions are soft, stir in the crushed garlic and ginger.
- Add the turmeric,
chile and coriander; sauté over a medium heat.
- Add the cubed chicken and saute, stirring constantly, until the chicken has turned
- Pour in the ground almonds, tomatoes and tomato paste. Mix thoroughly. Cover
and simmer for 20 to 30 minutes.
- Add the yogurt and heat through.
- Serve over rice with a salad and Indian bread if desired.
Serves 4 to 6.