Cardamom Fudge (Sheer Payra — Afghanistan)
This fudge is used to celebrate festive occasions.
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 2/3 cup milk
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons light corn syrup
- 2 tablespoons butter or margarine
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/4 cup chopped pistachios
- Cook sugar, milk, salt and corn syrup in 2-quart saucepan over medium heat, stirring
constantly, until sugar is dissolved. Cook, stirring occasionally, to 240 degrees
F on candy thermometer. Remove from heat.
- Add margarine.
- Cool mixture to 120 degrees F without stirring. (Bottom of pan will be lukewarm.)
- Add cardamom; beat vigorously and continuously until candy is thick and no longer
glossy, 5 to 10 minutes. (Mixture will hold its shape when dropped from spoon.)
- Quickly stir in nuts. Spread mixture in buttered 9 x 5-inch loaf pan.
- Let stand until firm.
- Cut into 1-inch squares.