Chick Pea Soondal
- 1 (15 ounce) can chick-peas or garbanzo beans, drained, rinsed
- 1 tablespoon corn oil
- 1 dried red chile pepper
- 1 teaspoon black mustard seeds
- 1 teaspoon urad dal
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup unsweetened coconut powder
- Drain chick peas, wash and set aside.
- Heat oil in medium size skillet or wok over medium heat.
- When oil is hot, but
not smoking, stir in red chile pepper, black mustard seeds and urad dal. Cover and
fry until mustard seeds burst (you will hear a popping sound) and urad dal is golden.
- Immediately add drained chick peas, salt and coconut powder. Mix well and stir
fry an additional minute.
Makes 2 to 4 servings.
You may also add 1/2 teaspoon poodhi powder or a chopped green
chile. Stir well. Or, use dried red beans, dried green peas or dried chick-peas.
Soak dried beans in water over night. After soaking, cook beans in water until tender.
Drain water and set beans aside. Follow the recipe directions above.