Chicken with Golden Pilaf
(Kabuli Pelau — Afghanistan)
This is the traditional Afghan fried chicken.
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 (2 1/2 to 3 pound) broiler-fryer chicken, cut up
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 medium carrots
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup butter or margarine
- 2 1/4 cups water
- 1 cup uncooked regular rice
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 1 tablespoon instant chicken bouillon
- 1/2 teaspoon curry powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- 1/4 cup toasted slivered almonds
- Heat oil in Dutch oven until hot. Cook chicken over medium heat until brown on
all sides, about 15 minutes; reduce heat.
- Sprinkle with 1 teaspoon salt. Cover and
cook over low heat until thickest pieces are done, 30 to 40 minutes, adding water
if necessary. Uncover during last 5 minutes of cooking to crisp chicken.
- Cut carrots lengthwise into 1/4-inch strips; cut into 1-inch pieces.
- Cook and stir onion in butter in 2-quart saucepan until tender.
- Add carrots, water, rice,
raisins, bouillon, curry powder, 1/4 teaspoon salt and thyme. Heat to boiling, stirring
once or twice; reduce heat. Cover and simmer 14 minutes without lifting cover or
- Remove from heat.
- Fluff rice lightly with fork; cover and let steam for 5 to 10 minutes.
- Serve chicken with rice; top with almonds.
Yields 6 to 8 servings.
Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged
and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.
>> Indian Recipes