- 1 (2 1/2 pound) cut-up chicken
- 2 cups yogurt
- 3 cloves garlic
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 2 teaspoons fresh ginger, chopped
- 2 teaspoons peanut or sunflower oil
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon ground chili
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- Seeds of 2 peeled cardamom pods
- 1 teaspoon poppy seed
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 tablespoons fresh coriander, chopped
- Place chicken in bowl and marinate in yogurt, 1 clove garlic, half an onion,
paprika, ginger, salt and pepper for a few hours.
- Heat oil in large heavy casserole;
gently sauté remaining onion and garlic for 1 minute. Remove and set aside.
- Add to casserole the coriander, chili, cumin, cardamom seeds, poppy seed and
turmeric. Fry for a few minutes.
- Add the chicken. Pour enough water to cover and add remaining marinade.
- Return onion and garlic with bay leaf.
- Simmer for 45 minutes or until chicken is tender.
- Sprinkle with fresh coriander and serve.
This post may contain affiliate links. Any purchases made through these links help support Recipegoldmine.com at no additional cost to you. Please see our disclosure policy.