- 1 (2 1/2 pound) cut-up chicken
- 2 cups yogurt
- 3 cloves garlic
- 2 medium
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 2 teaspoons fresh ginger, chopped
teaspoons peanut or sunflower oil
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- Seeds of 2 peeled cardamom pods
- 1 teaspoon
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 tablespoons fresh coriander,
- Place chicken in bowl and marinate in yogurt, 1 clove garlic, half an onion,
paprika, ginger, salt and pepper for a few hours.
- Heat oil in large heavy casserole;
gently sauté remaining onion and garlic for 1 minute. Remove and set aside.
- Add to casserole the coriander, chili, cumin, cardamom seeds, poppy seed and
turmeric. Fry for a few minutes.
- Add the chicken. Pour enough water to cover and
add remaining marinade.
- Return onion and garlic with bay leaf.
- Simmer for 45 minutes
or until chicken is tender.
- Sprinkle with fresh coriander and serve.