Coconut Curry Chicken
You can make the dish ahead, and refrigerate for up to two days.
- 1/4 cup whole unsalted cashews
- 1 pound skinless, boneless chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1/4 teaspoon
black mustard seeds
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1/4 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon finely
grated fresh ginger
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 (14 ounce) can unsweetened coconut
- 1/4 cup frozen peas
- 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro
- Heat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Spread the cashews in a pie plate and bake for 5 minutes, or until fragrant and
lightly toasted. Transfer to a plate to cool.
- Lightly season the chicken with salt.
- In a large, deep skillet, heat 3 tablespoons
of the oil until smoking.
- Add the chicken and cook over moderately high heat until
golden brown, about 1 1/2 minutes per side.
- Transfer the chicken to a plate and
reduce the heat to moderate.
- Add the remaining 1 tablespoon of oil to the skillet and heat until smoking.
- Add the mustard seeds and cook for about 1 minute, or until they stop popping.
the cumin seeds, coriander and curry powder, and cook, stirring occasionally, until
fragrant, about 1 minute.
- Add the onion, ginger and garlic, and cook until the onion
softens, about 10 minutes; if the mixture seems dry, add up to 1/4 cup of water
to prevent sticking.
- Stir in the coconut milk and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to low.
the chicken to the skillet and simmer until cooked through, about 5 minutes.
in the peas and cook for 1 minute.
- Transfer the curry to a bowl, sprinkle with the
cilantro and cashews and serve.
Makes 4 servings.
Source: Food & Wine magazine - December 2000