- 60g (2 ounces) ghee
- 2 medium onions, sliced
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 4 cardamom seeds, bruised
- 3 whole cloves
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 cup basmati rice
- 400ml can coconut cream
- 1/2 cup water
- Melt ghee in large frying pan.
- Add onions; fry over medium heat for about 4 minutes
or until onions are soft.
- Stir in seeds, cinnamon, cardamom, cloves and turmeric. Stir over medium heat for 2 minutes.
- Stir in rice, stir over heat a further minute.
- Stir in coconut cream and water;
bring to boil.
- Pour mixture into greased ovenproof dish (8-cup capacity).
bake in moderate oven for about 25 minutes or until all liquid is absorbed and rice
- Remove and discard cinnamon stick.
- Stir pilau with fork before serving.
From the kitchen of Martin James – Copenhagen, Denmark