Curried Indian Cabbage
- 1 cup grated coconut (do not use sweetened variety)
- 1 jalapeño pepper, finely
- 1/3 cup yellow or white onion, finely chopped
- 1/8 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 tablespoon water
- 1 1/2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1/2 teaspoon black mustard seeds
- 15 (2-inch-long) curry leaves; if smaller, use
- 1/2 medium head of cabbage, grated
- Combine the grated coconut, jalapeño pepper, onion, turmeric, salt and water
in a bowl.
- Heat oil in a large skillet set over medium-high heat.
- Add mustard seeds to the
pan. When seeds start popping, add the curry leaves.
- Add coconut mixture and sauté
for 3 minutes over medium heat.
- Add cabbage and mix thoroughly. Cover pan and cook over low heat for 7 to 10
minutes, until cabbage is just tender.
- Discard curry leaves before serving.
- This dish is usually served with rice.
Makes 6 servings.
Per serving: Calories 101 (66% fat) Fat 8 g (7 g sat) No cholesterol Sodium
174 mg Fiber 3 g Carbohydrates 8 g Protein 2 g