Easy Chicken Biryani
A quick, easy and healthy version of this traditional East Indian dish! Canola
oil’s neutral taste allows the spices to shine through.
- 2 tablespoons canola oil 30 mL
- 1 cup finely chopped onion 250 mL
- 2 cloves
- 2 tablespoons finely grated fresh ginger 30 mL
- 1/2 tablespoon
ground cumin 7 mL
- 1/2 tablespoon ground turmeric 4 mL
- 1/2 teaspoon ground
cardamom 2 mL
- 3 cloves
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 2/3 cup basmati rice, well rinsed
- 1 pound chicken breast, cut into strips 500 g
- 1/3 cup plain, nonfat
Greek yogurt 75 mL
- 2 fresh tomatoes, diced
- 3 cups low sodium chicken broth
- Fresh cilantro for garnish
- In saucepan, heat canola oil over medium-high heat and sauté onion, garlic, ginger,
cumin, coriander, turmeric, cardamom, cloves and cinnamon for 2 minutes to bring
- Stirring constantly, add rice, chicken, yogurt, tomato and broth; cover and simmer
over medium heat for 15 minutes or until rice is tender, chicken is cooked through
and liquid is absorbed.
- Remove from stove and let stand for 5 minutes.
- Garnish with cilantro and serve.
Yield: 8 servings
Nutritional Analysis Serving size: 3/4 cup (175 mL) Per Serving: Calories
280 Total Fat 8g Saturated Fat 1.5g Cholesterol 50mg Sodium 75mg Carbohydrates 31g
Fibre 3g Protein 22g
Source: Julie DesGroseilliers, Dt.P
Recipe and photograph courtesy of canolainfo.org.