Eggplant with Yogurt Sauce
(Bonjan Borani — Afghanistan)
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 1/4 cup olive oil or vegetable oil
- 1 (1 1/2 pound)
eggplant, cut into 1/2-inch slices
- 1 cup plain yogurt
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 tablespoons snipped fresh mint leaves or 1 1/2 teaspoons crushed dried mint leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Dash of pepper
- Cook and stir onion in oil in 12-inch skillet until tender; remove onion.
half the eggplant over medium-high heat, turning once, until tender and golden brown,
about 10 minutes.
- Repeat with remaining eggplant, adding more oil if necessary.
- Arrange onion and eggplant slices on ovenproof platter or in ungreased 11 x 7-inch
- Mix remaining ingredients except paprika; pour over eggplant. Sprinkle
- Heat in 350 degree F oven until hot and bubbly, 10 to 15 minutes.
Yields 6 servings.