This is like clarified butter. Make a large batch with about a pound of butter,
then refrigerate, covered, to use for cooking omelettes and for other cooking where
you want a pure butter taste, without all the water.
- Heat 1 pound butter, cut into pieces, over low heat until melted. Increase heat
to medium; heat to boiling. Immediately remove from heat and stir gently. Return
to heat; slowly heat to simmering. Simmer uncovered until butter separates into
transparent substance on top and milk solids on bottom, 30 to 40 minutes.
- Remove from heat; let stand 5 minutes.
- Strain through cheesecloth into container.
- Save the solids and use for flavoring vegetables.
- What is left after the solids
are removed is a clear yellow liquid, ghee.
- Cover and refrigerate no longer than
Ghee does not burn at high temperatures, and it does not go rancid nearly
as quickly as whole butter.