Grilled Indian Chicken
Serve with basmati rice, grilled red peppers and a crisp green salad.
- 2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 cup plain low-fat yogurt
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon finely grated ginger
- 4 large garlic cloves, minced
teaspoon ground cumin
- 4 scallions, greens included, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon
- White pepper to taste
- Lemon or lime wedges for garnish
- Cut skinless chicken breasts into 1-inch pieces. Place in a medium bowl.
- In another bowl, combine the yogurt, turmeric, paprika, cardamom, lemon and lime
juices, olive oil, ginger, garlic, cumin, scallions, salt and pepper.
- Pour most
of the marinade over the cubed chicken and mix well with your hands to coat the
pieces evenly. Reserve a little of the marinade for basting when grilling.
- Marinate in the refrigerator for 2 hours.
- Thread the chicken onto skewers and cook over a medium-hot fire for 5 to 7 minutes,
turning frequently. Baste the chicken with reserved marinade after turning.
- Serve with lemon or lime wedges.
Yields 4 servings.