Hearty Pulse and Beef Soup
(Maushawa — Afghanistan)
- 6 cups water
- 1/2 cup dried red kidney beans
- 1/2 cup dried green split peas
- 1/3 cup uncooked regular rice
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons vegetable
- 1/2 pound beef boneless round steak, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 (16 ounce)
can whole tomatoes (with liquid)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 2 (8 ounce) containers plain yogurt
- 1 tablespoon minced dill weed
- Heat water and beans to boiling in Dutch oven; boil 2 minutes. Remove from heat;
cover and let stand 1 hour.
- Heat beans and water to boiling; reduce heat. Cover
and simmer 1 hour, being careful not to boil so that beans will not burst.
- Add peas. Heat to boiling; reduce heat. Cover and simmer 30 minutes.
- Stir in rice. Heat to boiling; reduce heat. Cover and simmer until beans and
rice are tender, about 20 minutes.
- Cook and stir onion in oil in 10-inch skillet over medium heat until tender;
remove with slotted spoon.
- Add beef to skillet; cook and stir until brown on all sides, about 10 minutes.
- Stir in tomatoes, salt, red pepper and onions; break up
tomatoes with fork. Heat to boiling; reduce heat. Cover and simmer, stirring occasionally,
until beef is tender, about 45 minutes.
- Stir beef mixture, yogurt and dill weed into bean mixture. Cook uncovered over
low heat until hot, adding more water, if necessary, until of soup consistency.
- Garnish with dollops of yogurt topped with sprigs of dill weed.
- Serve with Indian Flat Bread if desired.