Indian Flat Bread
(Naan — India, Pakistan and Central Asia)
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup plain yogurt
- 1 egg, slightly beaten
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon granulated sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 cup milk
- Ghee or vegetable oil
- Poppy seed
- Mix all ingredients except milk, ghee and poppy seed.
- Stir in enough milk to
make a soft dough. Turn dough onto lightly floured surface; knead until smooth,
about 5 minutes.
- Place in greased bowl; turn greased side up. Cover; let rest in
warm place 3 hours.
- Divide dough into 6 or 8 equal parts. Flatten each part on lightly floured surface,
rolling it into a 6 x 4-inch leaf shape (round at one end, tapered at the other)
about 1/4-inch thick.
- Brush with ghee; sprinkle with poppy seed.
- Place 2 cookie sheets in oven; heat oven to 450 degrees F.
- Remove cookie sheets
from oven; place breads on hot cookie sheets.
- Bake until firm, 6 to 8 minutes.