Jallebis (Sweet "Pretzels")
Jallebis are made in India only by professionals in pans 2 to 3 feet across!
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
- 1 package yeast
- 1/4 cup warm water
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup rice flour or cornstarch
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1/4 teaspoon saffron or a few drops yellow food coloring
- Oil for deep frying
- 3 cups granulated sugar
- 2 cups water
- 1 teaspoon rose water
- Dissolve yeast in warm water.
- Mix flour, rice flour, water and saffron; then add yeast mixture. Let stand for at least 1/2 hour.
- Boil sugar and water for 5 minutes. Keep warm but not enough to cook it more.
Add rose water just before using.
- Pour batter into a plastic squeeze bottle such as for dispensing ketchup.
- Squeeze batter into hot fat at 375 degrees F in pretzel
shapes and fry until lightly brown, turning once.
- Lift from fat, drain and drop
directly into sugar/water syrup. When clear and full of syrup, remove and drain,
placing on serving platter. Do not use the same slotted spoon in the hot fat as
in the syrup, as it splatters badly. It helps to have 2 people cooking, 1 frying
and 1 taking the jallebis out of the syrup. Be careful not to let the fat get too
hot. A small pan is safer than a large one.
Makes about 50 jallebis.
Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged
and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.
>> Indian Recipes