Kashmiri Lamb Meatballs
(Kashmiri Kofta Kari)
Beef is not eaten, so kofta are prepared with minced lamb in traditional Kashmiri
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
- 2 pounds ground lamb
- 1 tablespoon plain yogurt
- 2 teaspoons finely chopped gingerroot
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon garam masala
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 2 cardamom pods
- 1 stick cinnamon
- 1 cup water
- 1/4 cup plain yogurt
- Mix lamb, 1 tablespoon yogurt, the gingerroot, cumin, coriander, salt, garam
masala and chili powder. Shape into ovals, about 2 inches long and 1 inch thick.
- Heat oil in 12-inch skillet until hot.
- Cook and stir cardamom and cinnamon 10
seconds; reduce heat to medium.
- Add meatballs. Cook uncovered, turning occasionally,
until meatballs are brown, about 15 minutes; drain.
- Mix water and 1/4 cup yogurt;
pour over meatballs in skillet. Heat to boiling; reduce heat. Cover and simmer
for 10 minutes.
- Uncover and cook over medium heat until most of the liquid is evaporated,
about 10 minutes.
- Remove cardamom and cinnamon.
- Remove meatballs with slotted spoon.
- Serve with Basmati rice if desired.
Yields 48 meatballs.
Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged
and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.
>> Indian Recipes