Kekada Chat (Crab Malabar)
- 1 pound cooked crab meat, fresh or frozen and thawed
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 or 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon fennel seeds, crushed
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper, or to taste
- 3 cups coarsely diced fresh tomatoes
- Salt, to taste
- 2 scallions, green and white parts, finely chopped
- Lettuce leaves (for garnish)
- Chopped cilantro (for garnish)
- Pick over the crab meat and cut into 1-inch pieces.
- Heat the oil in a large skillet with a lid over moderate heat and cook the onions,
stirring frequently, until golden but not brown.
- Add the garlic and cook for 1 minute.
- Add the paprika, thyme, fennel seeds, and cayenne and cook for 2 more minutes.
- Add 1 cup of the tomatoes. Lower the heat and simmer covered for 15 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and gently fold in the crab meat.
- Cover and refrigerate for 2 to 3 hours.
- Immediately before serving, add salt to taste and fold in the remaining tomatoes
and chopped scallions.
- Serve on a bed of lettuce, garnished with the chopped cilantro.
Serves 6 to 8 as an appetizer.