Kheera ka Raita
(Cucumber in Spiced Yogurt
- 2 large cucumbers, peeled, finely grated
- 1 green chile, finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons finely chopped cilantro leaves, plus a sprig of cilantro for garnish
- 4 teaspoons granulated sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup plain yogurt
- Remove excess juice from cucumbers by straining through vegetable strainer or
use your hands as strainer. Set aside.
- In medium bowl, mix green chile, cilantro, sugar and salt with yogurt.
- Add cucumber and mix well.
- Garnish with fresh sprig of cilantro leaves.
- Serve chilled.
Makes 1 1/2 cups or enough for 4 to 5 servings.
Fat-free yogurt can be substituted for plain yogurt. Artificial sweetener
can also be substituted for sugar, if needed.