Lamb and Potato Curry
(Aloo Gosht — India)
Serve with hot cooked rice or Puris.
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 jalapeno pepper, minced
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 (1 1/2 pound) boneless lamb shoulder, cut into 1-inch
- 1 (16 ounce) can whole tomatoes (with liquid)
- 1 tablespoon ground coriander
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
teaspoon chili powder
- 3 medium potatoes, quartered
- 2 cups water
- 2 tablespoons
- Snipped fresh cilantro
- Cook and stir onion, garlic and jalapeno pepper in oil in Dutch oven until onion
- Add lamb. Cook and stir over medium-high heat until lamb is light brown,
about 15 minutes; drain fat.
- Stir in tomatoes, coriander, cumin, salt, turmeric
and chili powder; break up tomatoes with fork. Heat to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer
uncovered, stirring occasionally, until sauce is thick, about 15 minutes.
- Add potatoes, water and vinegar. Heat to boiling; reduce heat. Cover and simmer
- Uncover and simmer, stirring occasionally, until lamb and potatoes are
tender and sauce is thickened, 15 to 20 minutes.
- Sprinkle with cilantro.
- Serve with hot cooked rice if desired.
Yields 6 servings.