- 3 pounds fresh spinach
- 1 (2-inch) piece ginger root
- 4 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 ounces butter
- 1/2 teaspoon fennel seeds
- 4 whole cardamom pods
- 3 onions, cut into fine half rings
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon red chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garam masala
- Wash spinach well and set it aside.
- Cut ginger into fine julienne strips.
- Over medium heat, cook oil and butter in a large pan. Lower heat, then add fennel
seeds and cardamom pods. Stir once, then add onions and ginger.
- Stir and fry until the onions turn a rich brown color.
- Put in the spinach. Cover and allow it to wilt completely, stirring every now
- Turn heat to medium, then add the salt and chili powder. Cover and cook for 25
- Remove the lid and add garam masala. Stir and cook uncovered for 5 minutes more
or until there is hardly any liquid left in the pan.