Murgh Makhan (Silken Chicken)
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter
- 1 (3 pound) chicken, skin removed and cut into 10 pieces
- 4 garlic cloves, halves
- 1 medium fresh hot green chile, seeded
- 1 (2-inch) piece ginger, peeled and coarsely chopped
- 2 cups finely chopped onions
- 8 cardamom pods, cracked
- 9 whole cloves
- 2 teaspoons cumin seeds
- 1 teaspoon chile powder (unspiced ground red chiles)
- 1 (1 1/2-inch) piece cinnamon stick
- 1 (16 ounce) can whole tomatoes, chopped, with juice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup fresh coriander
- Combine garlic, chile and ginger in a blender and process for 15 seconds.
- Add onions and process for 15 seconds.
- Add cardamom pods and cloves and process for 15 seconds. Set aside.
- Heat 3 tablespoons of the butter in a large skillet until the foam subsides.
- Over medium heat brown half the chicken pieces on all sides. Transfer to a plate.
- Repeat with 3 more tablespoons butter and remaining chicken.
- Add remaining butter and garlic/onion/spice mixture to pan and cook, stirring
constantly, for 10 minutes or until liquid has evaporated.
- Add cumin seeds chile powder and cinnamon stick and cook for 2 minutes, stirring
- Add tomatoes, with their juice and salt. Cook, stirring often, for 10 minutes.
- Add chicken and its juices. Reduce heat to low. Cook covered for 30 minutes,
until chicken is tender and sauce is thickened.
- Garnish with fresh coriander to serve.
Source: The Best of India - Balraj Khanna