This cheese is used as a topping for curries, vegetables, or baked potatoes,
or as a spread for flat bread.
- 12 cup whole milk
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin seed, crushed
- 1/3 cup lemon juice
- In a 5-quart Dutch oven bring milk, salt and cumin seed just to boiling; reduce
heat. Simmer, uncovered, for 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat.
- Stir in lemon juice. Let
stand for 15 minutes.
- Line a large strainer or colander with several layers of pure cotton cheesecloth.
Strain mixture; discard liquid. Gently squeeze the cheesecloth to remove as much
liquid from the curds as possible. Wrap cloth around curds.
- Place wrapped curds
In a large strainer or colander and put a weighted bowl on top to help press out
any additional liquid. Let stand, covered, in the refrigerator for at least 15 hours.
- Remove curds. Discard liquid. Form curds into a flat rectangle or press into
a large bowl to shape.
- Refrigerate, covered with plastic wrap, until well chilled.
- Store in refrigerator, tightly wrapped, for up to 3 weeks.
Yields about 1 pound.