- 2 cups chapati flour or 1 cup whole wheat flour plus 1 cup unbleached all-purpose
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 3/4 cup water plus 2
tablespoons warm water (95 to 100 degrees F)
- 1/2 cup additional flour for dusting
- 2 tablespoons oil to roll and brush the paratha
- 1 tablespoon melted ghee
or butter (optional)
- In a bowl, sift the chapati flour and salt together.
- Add 1 tablespoon of oil
and, using your hands, mix well.
- Slowly add the water to the flour to make a soft
dough. In the bowl, knead the dough for 5 minutes, until it is very pliable.
and set aside in a warm place.
- After 30 minutes, knead the dough for a minute and divide it into eight equal
balls. Keep them covered to prevent them from drying out.
- Taking one ball at a time, dust it with flour and make a round patty, flattening
it on a floured work surface. Roll it into a 5-inch circle. Using a pastry brush,
brush the top side with oil and fold the circle in half. Brush the top side of the
semicircle with oil and fold it in half. Now the dough looks like a triangle. Flatten
and dust the triangle with flour on both sides. Using a floured rolling pin on a
floured work surface, roll the dough until the triangle measures 6 or 7 inches.
Remove to a tray and cover to keep the paratha from drying out.
- Repeat with the
- Heat a cast iron or nonstick griddle or skillet over medium heat until hot.
one paratha at a time, fry for 1 minute, until brown spots appear on the underside.
Using a spatula, flip the bread to the other side, adding 1/4 teaspoon of oil to
the pan. Fry the bread for an additional 30 seconds, until brown spots appear on
the flipped underside. (Brush the top with a little ghee or butter if desired.)
- Remove from the griddle and wrap in aluminum foil.
- Repeat the procedure with the
- Wrap the parathas in foil.
- Serve hot.
Parathas can be prepared several hours in advance. Just before serving, heat
in a preheated 300 degree F oven, wrapped in foil, for 10 to 12 minutes.
Per Serving: 129 calories; 4g protein; 20g carbohydrates; 4g fat, 53.5mg
sodium; 7.5mg cholesterol; 4g fiber