Pineapple Meringue Bread Pudding
(Kueh Prol Nanas — Indonesia)
- 3 cups 1/2-inch cubes French bread
- 1 (15 1/4 ounce) can crushed pineapple, drained (reserve syrup)
- 3 eggs, separated
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases at no additional cost to you. Thank you for supporting Recipe Goldmine.
- Place bread cubes in greased 10 x 6-inch baking dish or 8-inch square
- Spread pineapple on top.
- Beat egg yolks slightly; stir in brown sugar, lemon peel, cinnamon, salt and
the reserved syrup.
- Slowly stir in coconut milk.
- Pour over bread cubes and pineapple.
- Bake uncovered at 350 degrees F until knife inserted halfway between center
and edge comes out clean, 30 to 40 minutes.
- Remove from oven.
- Beat egg whites and cream of tartar on medium speed until foamy.
- Beat in the 1/4 cup sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time; continue beating until stiff
and glossy. Do not over-beat. Spread over pudding.
- Bake until delicate golden brown, 8 to 10 minutes.
- Let stand for 5 minutes.
Yields 8 servings.
Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged
and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.
>> Indian Recipes