This is a traditional Macedonian, and it is found on tables everywhere in Macedonia.
- 1 large eggplant
- 2 to 6 cloves garlic
- Salt (enough to lightly cover the
- Handful roughly chopped walnuts
- Olive oil
- Fresh lemon
- Fresh cilantro
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Wash eggplant. Poke holes into eggplant randomly with a fork.
- Place eggplant
on a cookie sheet which has been covered with aluminum foil.
- Roast the eggplant
until it is thoroughly cooked and collapses (about 30 to 40 minutes).
- While the eggplant is roasting, mash garlic and salt with mortar and pestle until
it becomes pasty.
- To cool eggplant quickly, slice in half, and leave draining in the sink in a
- When cool, peel the skin off. Chop eggplant into medium-size chunks.
- In bowl, combine eggplant and garlic, mashing eggplant and stirring the garlic
throughout. When it is consistently mushy, throw in a handful of chopped walnuts
to add crunch and texture.
- You can add olive oil, a squeeze of fresh lemon, and
even cilantro if desired.
- Enjoy with a loaf of crusty bread.