Roast Chicken with Spiced Yogurt
(Tandoori Murghi — India and Pakistan)
A traditional tandoor is a clay oven which maintains an even heat that keeps
meat succulent and allows the spices to flavor each piece. Serve this with hot cooked
rice and Puris.
- 1 (3 to 4 pound) broiler-fryer chicken
- 1/2 teaspoon water
- 1/4 teaspoon
- 1 cup plain yogurt
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1 clove garlic, chopped
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 cup water
- Place chicken in large glass or plastic bowl.
- Mix 1/2 teaspoon water and mustard
in 1-quart bowl; stir in yogurt, lemon juice, garlic, salt, cardamom, ginger, cumin,
red pepper and pepper. Pour over chicken; turn to coat well with marinade.
and refrigerate 12 to 24 hours.
- Place chicken on rack in shallow roasting pan or clay pot (which has been soaked
in water for 1/2 hour).
- Roast uncovered at 375 degrees F, spooning reserved marinade
over chicken during last 30 minutes of roasting, until thickest pieces are done,
1 3/4 to 2 1/4 hours. Place a tent of aluminum foil loosely over chicken during
the last 30 minutes to prevent excessive browning.
- Remove chicken from pan; stir
1/4 cup water into pan juices. Heat just until hot.
- Serve sauce with chicken.
Yields 8 to 10 servings.