Roasted Masala Potatoes
- 4 Idaho potatoes, washed and peeled
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 3/4 teaspoon
- 1 tablespoon sambhar powder or red pepper powder
- 5 tablespoons corn oil
- 4 to 5 curry leaves
- 1 teaspoon asafoetida powder
- Wash, peel and cut potatoes into 1-inch cubes. Place potatoes in a medium saucepan.
Add water just to cover potatoes and bring to a boil. Do not cover saucepan. After
the water boils, reduce heat and add turmeric and salt to potatoes. Parboil potatoes.
Be careful hot to overcook them.
- When potatoes are parboiled, drain and place in
a medium small bowl.
- Sprinkle sambhar powder over potatoes and shake bowl to cover potatoes with the
- Add oil to a medium size cast iron skillet.
- When oil is hot, but hot smoking,
add 4 to 5 curry leaves and the asafoetida powder.
- Add potatoes to skillet. Cook
over very low heat until golden grown, turning frequently.
Makes 4 to 6 servings.
These potatoes are good served with lemon rice.