- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil plus about 3 cups for frying
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds
- Pinch of asafoetida
- 1 finely chopped green chile
- 4 medium potatoes, boiled and mashed coarsely
- 1/2 cup peas, cooked
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon garam masala
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon red chili powder
- 1 teaspoon dry mango powder or amchur
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1/8 cup water
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon chili powder
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases at no additional cost to you. Thank you for supporting Recipe Goldmine.
- Filling: In large skillet, heat 3 tablespoons oil and season it with
cumin seeds, asafoetida and green chile.
- Add mashed potatoes and peas, ground cumin, garam masala, pepper, red chili
powder and mango powder and mix well. Cook covered 5 to 6 minutes.
- Add lemon juice and mix well.
- Remove from heat and set aside to cool.
- Pastry: Cut pastry dough into 4 equal parts. Take each part and roll it out into
a circle about 6 to 8 inches in diameter.
- Cut each circle into two parts, forming half circles. You will have 8 half
circles. Moisten straight edges of each half circle with a finger dipped in
water. Take one semi circle and fold it into a cone shape.
- Stuff about 1 tablespoon potato-peas mixture in each cone and seal top edge
with a drop of water on your finger and press edges together.
- Repeat with remaining pieces of dough.
- While making samosas, keep both unused dough and filled samosas covered
- Heat remaining oil (to a depth of 3 to 4 inches) in medium-sized skillet.
- Deep-fry samosas, 4 to 5 at a time, cooking them 2 to 3 minutes or until
a rich golden brown, turning once about halfway through cooking process.
- When done, remove with slotted spoon and set on paper towels to drain.
- Serve hot with mint or tamarind chutney.
- Pastry: Mix all ingredients to make a stiff dough.
Makes 8 samosas.
Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged
and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.
>> Indian Recipes