Savory Lentils (Dal)
This is the perfect side dish for spicy-hot foods. Sometimes it is served over
rice to make it a heartier side dish.
- 3 cups water
- 1 cup dried lentils or split peas
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 2 tablespoons ghee or vegetable oil
- Lime wedges
- Heat water and lentils to boiling in 2-quart saucepan.
- Stir in salt and turmeric.
Cover and simmer until lentils are tender, about 45 minutes.
- Cook and stir onion,
garlic, cumin and cardamom in ghee until onion is tender; stir into lentils. Cook
uncovered over low heat, stirring frequently, until thickened, 20 to 30 minutes.
- Serve with lime wedges.
Yields 5 servings.