- 2 pounds large shrimp
- 1/2 teaspoon tamarind concentrate
- 2 tablespoons hot water
- 1/2 cup grated unsweetened coconut, ground fine in blender or food processor
- 1 1/2 cups onion, thinly sliced, divided
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil, divided
- Water as needed
- 1 cup water
- 4 teaspoons ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 green chile, split lengthwise
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 10 curry leaves or 4 bay leaves
- 4 dried red peppers
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- Shrimp: Shell and devein shrimp; set aside.
- In small bowl, dissolve tamarind concentrate in hot water and set aside.
- In a wok or large frying pan, over medium-high heat toast coconut and 1/2 cup
onion in 1 tablespoon oil, stirring constantly, until coconut is dark brown.
- In a food processor or blender, process mixture into fine paste, using as little water
as possible. Set aside.
- In same wok or pan, wiped clean, over medium-high heat, fry 1 cup onion in 2
tablespoons oil until soft.
- Stir in water, spice mixture, green chile and salt.
- Turn heat down to medium, add shrimp, and cook 5 minutes.
- Add coconut mixture and
tamarind to shrimp, and simmer 5 minutes or until shrimp are opaque.
- Remove from heat.
- Spice Mixture: In small covered frying pan over medium-high heat, heat mustard
seeds, curry leaves and dried red peppers in vegetable oil until mustard seeds begin
- Pour contents of skillet over shrimp and stir.
- Taste for salt.
Yield: 8 servings