Spicy Split Peas with Vegetables (Sambar)
- 4 cups water
- 1 cup dried yellow split peas
- 2 tablespoons shredded or flaked coconut
- 1 teaspoon coriander seed
- 1/2 teaspoon fenugreek seed
- 1 (1/2-inch) stick cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon ghee or vegetable oil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 3 medium carrots, diced
- 2 medium zucchini, diced
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 small eggplant, diced
- 2 tablespoons ghee or vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 tablespoon tamarind pulp
- Hot cooked rice
- Snipped fresh cilantro
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases at no additional cost to you. Thank you for supporting Recipe Goldmine.
- Heat 4 cups water and the peas to boiling in 2-quart saucepan; reduce heat. Cover
and simmer for 45 minutes.
- Cook and stir coconut, coriander, fenugreek and cinnamon
in 1 tablespoon ghee in 8-inch skillet until coconut is light brown.
- Remove from heat; stir in salt and cayenne pepper.
- Crush coconut mixture with mortar and pestle until finely ground; reserve.
- Cook carrots, zucchini, onion and eggplant in 2 tablespoons ghee in 12-inch skillet,
stirring occasionally, until tender.
- Stir 2 tablespoons water into tamarind pulp until softened.
- Stir tamarind mixture, coconut mixture and peas into skillet. Cook
and stir over low heat, adding water until of consistency of soup, if necessary,
until hot and well blended.
- Serve over rice, then garnish with cilantro.
Yield: 6 servings
Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged
and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.
>> Indian Recipes