Sri Lankan Flatbread (Rotis)
- 3/4 cup fine coconut*
- 2 1/4 cups self-rising flour
- 1 to 1 1/4 cups cold
- Ghee or vegetable oil
- Mix coconut and flour in medium-size bowl. Gradually add water, stirring until
dough is soft and smooth and cleans side of bowl.
- Turn dough onto floured surface.
Cover; let rest 30 minutes.
- Heat griddle to 375 degrees F.
- Divide dough into 12 equal parts; flatten each part with floured hands into thin
rounds, about 5 inches in diameter, on floured surface.
- Brush griddle with ghee.
- Cook breads on both sides until golden brown, about 2 minutes on each side.
* If fine coconut is unavailable, place shredded coconut in blender container;
cover, and blend until finely ground.