(Spiced Rice with Vegetables)
- 5 to 6 tablespoons vegetable oil plus 1/4 cup, divided
- 1 cup finely chopped onions, for garnish
- 2 tablespoons golden raisins, for garnish
- 2 tablespoons sliced almonds, for garnish
- Wet Masala Paste
- 2 1/2 cups Indian basmati rice
- 4 cloves
- 2 green cardamom pods
- 2 to 3 (1-inch) cinnamon sticks
- 1 green bell pepper, cored and sliced
- 1/2 cup cubed potatoes
- 1/2 cup green peas
- 1/2 cup cubed carrots
- Salt to taste
- 5 cups water (about)
- Make garnish. In medium skillet, heat 5 to 6 tablespoons oil.
- Sauté onions until deep brown.
- Add raisins and almonds and sauté
until almonds are lightly browned. Set aside.
- Make wet masala paste and set it aside.
- Wash rice, drain water and let sit 10 minutes with no additional water added.
- Heat remaining 1/4 cup oil in heavy pot.
- Add cloves, cardamom pods and cinnamon
sticks. Sauté for 30 to 40 seconds.
- Add reserved onion mixture.
- Add reserved wet masala paste and sauté a few minutes on medium-high,
until oil starts to separate, about 5 to 7 minutes.
- Add bell pepper, potatoes, peas and carrots, and sauté a few more
- Add reserved rice and salt; mix well. Sauté for a few more minutes.
- Transfer mixture to a microwave-safe serving container.
- Add 5 cups water. Microwave,
covered, 35 minutes or until done and rice has absorbed all the water. Stir after
about 15 minutes.
- Add half of the garnish and mix it in.
- Cover container and microwave another 10 minutes to blend flavors.
- When done, remove from cooking container and set on individual plates.
- Top each serving with remaining garnish.
- Serve hot with mint chutney and raita.
Makes 4 to 6 servings.