Whole Wheat Chapattis
- 4 cups whole wheat flour
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 1/2 cups water, lukewarm (105 - 115 degrees F), divided
- Heat oven to 250 degrees F.
- In a large bowl, combine flour and salt. Make a well in the center and pour in
1 cup of water and oil.
- Gradually add remaining 1/2 cup water, continuing to mix
until flour absorbs water.
- Knead dough until smooth and elastic, about 5 to 8 minutes.
Do not add more flour.
- Cover with a damp cloth and let rest for 30 minutes.
- Divide into 16 equal pieces and roll each into thin rounds, 6 to 7-inches in
diameter. Use a light dusting of flour if necessary when rolling out. Do not stack.
- Heat a griddle or skillet over medium-high heat.
- Place one chapatti on the griddle
and cook about 10 seconds; flip chapatti and cook for 1 minute, flip again and cook
about 1 minute. Use a folded dry dish towel or wadded up paper towel to press down
any bubbles that start to rise up so that the bread cooks evenly. Bread should puff
up and have an even distribution of brown spots.
- Place on a clean dish towel and lightly brush top with butter, if desired.
chapattis warm on a baking sheet in preheated oven, loosely covered with foil. Serve
- To eat, tear chapattis in pieces or use as a wrap—simply fill, roll and eat.
Servings: 16 rounds
Variation: Use 3 cups whole wheat flour and 1 cup all-purpose flour.
Calories/Serving: 135 Nutrition: One chapatti provides approximately: 135
calories; 5 g protein; 24 g carbohydrates; 2 g fat (0 g saturated); 0 mg cholesterol;
4 g fiber; 16 mcg folate; 1 mg iron; 291 mg sodium
Recipe and photograph used with permission from the Wheat Foods Council.