- 1 3/4 pounds potatoes
- 1 bunch scallions, trimmed and sliced fine
- 2/3 cup whole milk
- Salt and freshly-ground black pepper, to taste
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter
- Peel the potatoes and cut them into small pieces. Bring to a boil in a pot of
salted water, then cover and simmer for 15 to 20 minutes or until tender.
- Meanwhile, simmer the scallions gently in the milk for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Drain the potatoes, then return them to the pot and place them over low heat
for a minute or so to allow any excess water to evaporate.
- Add the milk and onions, and pound or beat the potatoes to a soft, fluffy mash.
Add plenty of salt and pepper as you go.
- Mound the champ in a large bowl. Make a little hollow for the butter and allow
it to melt into the potatoes before serving.
Yield: 4 servings
This page may contain affiliate links. Any purchases made through these links help support Recipegoldmine.com at no additional cost to you. Please see our Disclosure Policy.