Mashed potatoes, cabbage and green onions combine in a traditional Irish dish.
Great with sliced corned beef, pork or lamb.
- 2 cups water
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 1/2 pounds (6 medium size) potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1/4 cup (1/2 stick) Challenge Butter
- 1/2 cup warm milk
- 1/2 small head of cabbage, shredded
- 1 cup chopped green onions including green portion
- 1/2 pound bacon, cooked and crumbled
- Salt and pepper
- Add salt to water in a large saucepan and bring to a boil.
- add potatoes and return to a boil. Reduce heat. Cover and cook for 15 to 20 minutes, until tender. Drain.
- Mash potatoes until no lumps remain.
- Gradually beat in milk and 1/4 cup butter. Cover and set aside.
- Melt 1/4 cup butter in a skillet over medium heat.
- Sauté onions and shredded cabbage for about 5 minutes.
- Fold bacon and onion/cabbage mixture into mashed potatoes.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Transfer mixture to a large serving bowl.
- Serve warm as a side dish with slices of corned beef, pork or lamb.
Recipe and photo used with permission from:
This page may contain affiliate links. Any purchases made through these links help support Recipegoldmine.com at no additional cost to you. Please see our Disclosure Policy.