County Cork Cornish Pasties
- 2 large baking potatoes
- 1 tablespoon bacon grease
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 to 1 1/2 cups water
- 1 (12 ounce) tin corned beef (not hash)
- Salt and plenty of pepper
- Pie crust pastry
- 1 egg
- 1/3 cup milk
- Peel potatoes and slice into 1/4-inch slices.
- In a saucepan heat the bacon grease and slightly sauté the onion.
- Add the sliced potatoes and cover with water. Bring to a boil. Reduce the heat, cover, and simmer
until the potatoes are fork tender, about 15 minutes.
- Drain any remaining water, and add the corned beef. Stir well.
- Slightly mash some of the potatoes as you stir.
- Add the salt and pepper.
- Let the mixture cool to room temperature.
- Roll the pie crust into individual 8- to 9-inch circles.
- Place 1 cup of the meat and potato mixture on half of each circle, fold over, and press the edges to seal.
- Beat together the egg and milk and brush over the pasties.
- Place on a baking sheet.
- Bake at 350 degrees F for about 45 to 50 minutes or until light brown.
Makes enough filling for about 4 pasties.
These are good served at room temperature.
Photo credit: (c) Can Stock Photo / natavkusidey