Date Bread and Butter Pudding
with Boozy Toffee Sauce
- 4 tablespoons butter, softened, plus extra for greasing
- 10 slices good-quality white bread, crusts removed
- 7 ounces (about 1 cup) pitted dates, chopped
- 1 1/2 cups cream
- 2/3 cup milk
- 3 eggs
- 3 ounces (about 1/3 cup plus 2 tablespoons) sugar, preferably superfine
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar, for sprinkling
Boozy Toffee Sauce
- 8 tablespoons butter
- 1 1/4 cups light brown sugar
- 1 cup cream
- 1/4 cup brandy
- 1/4 cup sweet sherry
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Pudding: Butter the bread, leaving 4 slices whole and cutting the remaining 6 slices in
half to make triangles.
- Grease the sides and base of an 8-inch square baking dish.
- Place the 4 whole slices of bread buttered side up on the base of the ovenproof
dish, then sprinkle the chopped dates over the top.
- Arrange the triangles of bread buttered side up on top to cover the dates.
- Heat the cream and milk in a saucepan almost to the boil.
- While it heats up, whisk the eggs, sugar and vanilla extract in a heatproof bowl, then slowly pour
the hot milk and cream on top, whisking as you pour. Pour this custard over the bread and allow to soak for 20 minutes.
- Sprinkle brown sugar over bread.
- Place the baking dish in a large roasting pan and carefully pour enough hot water
into the roasting pan to come halfway up the sides of the baking dish.
- Bake for 50 minutes to 1 hour or until the top is golden and the center just set.
- Serve with sauce and whipped cream.
- Boozy Toffee Sauce: Place the butter, sugar and cream in a saucepan and bring to a
boil, stirring all the time. Boil for 4 minutes or until the sauce has thickened.
- Remove the pan from the heat, allow to cool for 1 minute, then add the brandy and
Source: Irish Dairy Board
This page may contain affiliate links. Any purchases made through these links help support Recipegoldmine.com at no additional cost to you. Please see our Disclosure Policy.