Irish Bread Pudding with
- 1/4 cup light butter, melted
- 1 (10 ounce) French bread baguette, cut into 1-inch-thick slices
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 1/4 cup Irish whiskey*
- 1 3/4 cups 1% low-fat milk
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 (12 ounce) can evaporated skim milk
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- Cooking spray
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 2/3 cup water
- 1/4 cup light butter
- 2 ounces 1/3-less-fat cream cheese (Neufchâtel) (about 1/4 cup)
- 1/4 cup Irish whiskey**
- 1/4 cup 1% low-fat milk
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Bread Pudding: Brush melted butter on one side of French bread
slices, and place bread, buttered sides up, on a baking sheet.
- Bake bread for 10 minutes or until lightly toasted.
- Cut bread into 1/2-inch cubes, and set aside.
- Combine raisins and whiskey in a small bowl; cover and let stand 10 minutes or
until soft (do not drain).
- Combine 1% milk and next 4 ingredients (1% milk through eggs) in a large bowl;
stir well with a whisk.
- Add bread cubes and raisin mixture, pressing gently to moisten; let stand 15 minutes.
- Spoon bread mixture into a 13 x 9-inch baking dish coated with cooking spray.
- Combine 1 tablespoon sugar and cinnamon; sprinkle over pudding.
- Bake at 350 degrees F for 35 minutes or until set.
- Serve warm with Caramel-Whiskey Sauce.
- Caramel-Whiskey Sauce: Combine sugar
and water in a small heavy saucepan over medium-high heat; cook until sugar dissolves, stirring
constantly. Cook an additional 15 minutes or until golden (do not stir).
- Remove from heat.
- Carefully add butter and cream cheese, stirring constantly
with a whisk (mixture will be hot and bubble vigorously).
- Cool slightly, and stir in whiskey and milk.
Yield: 12 servings (serving size: 1 (3-inch) square and 2 tablespoons sauce)
* Substitute 1/4 cup apple juice for the Irish whiskey, if desired.
** Substitute 1 tablespoon imitation rum extract and 3 tablespoons water for
the Irish whiskey, if desired. Yield: 1 1/2 cups (serving size: 2 tablespoons)
Nutrition per serving: calories 362 (17% from fat); fat 6.7 g (sat 4 g, mono
2.1 g, poly 0.6 g); protein 8.1 g; cholesterol 57 mg; calcium 155 mg; sodium 269
mg; fiber 0.9 g; iron 1 mg; carbohydrates 66.7 g