Irish Brown Bread
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking
- 1/2 cup wheat bran
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons shortening
- Mix all dry ingredients.
- Gradually add milk until it forms a thick mixture, slightly
- Form into one large ball. Flour and shape dough into a round disc about
1 1/2 inches high.
- Place in a floured 9-inch cake pan.
- With a sharp knife, cut a
cross onto the top of the bread, about 1/4 inch deep.
- Bake at 400 degrees F for
about 40 minutes or until a wooden pick comes out clean.