Irish Freckled Rolls
- 1 1/2 cups warm water
- 1 package active dry yeast
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup dry milk
- 1/2 cup butter or margarine, softened
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 cup unprocessed wheat bran
- 6 1/4 to 6 3/4 cups bread flour
- 3 large eggs
- Place 1/4 cup warm water in large warm bowl.
- Sprinkle in yeast; stir until dissolved.
- Add remaining water, sugar, dry milk, butter, salt, bran and 2 cups flour.
- Beat for 2 minutes at medium speed, scraping bowl occasionally.
- Add eggs and 1 cup flour.
- Beat for 2 minutes at high speed.
- Stir in enough remaining flour to make a soft dough.
Knead until smooth and elastic, about 8 to 10 minutes.
- Place dough in lightly greased bowl, turn to grease top.
- Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 2 hours.
- Punch dough down whenever doubled in size and use within 3 days.
- Remove dough to a lightly floured surface.
- Divide into 36 equal pieces. Shape into smooth balls.
- Place balls about 2 inches apart on large greased baking sheets.
Cover; let rise in warm, draft-free place until doubled in size, about 40 to 45
- Bake at 375 degrees F for 13 to 15 minutes or until done.
- Remove from pans, cool on wire rack.
Source: Fleischmann's Yeast
To bake without refrigeration: After placing dough in lightly greased bowl, cover;
let rise in warm, draft-free place until doubled, about 45 to 60 minutes. Shape
and bake as directed.