Irish Oatmeal-Whiskey Cake
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
cup light brown sugar
- 1/4 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 tablespoon Irish whiskey
- 1 cup chopped nuts
- 1/2 cup grated unsweetened coconut
- 1 cup quick-cooking oatmeal
- 1 1/2 cups boiling water
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 1 cup light brown sugar
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons Irish whiskey
- 2 large eggs
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon ground
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- Nut Topping: Cream butter and sugar.
- Blend in cream and whiskey.
- Stir in nuts
and coconut. Set aside.
- Cake: Lightly grease and flour a 9-inch round or square cake pan. Set aside.
- Place oatmeal in a heatproof mixing bowl.
- Pour boiling water over oatmeal; allow
to stand for 20 minutes.
- Cream butter and sugars until light and fluffy.
- Beat in whiskey and eggs.
well combined, stir in oatmeal mixture.
- Combine flour, cinnamon and baking soda.
- When well combined, stir into oatmeal
mixture. Beat until well mixed.
- Pour oatmeal batter into prepared pan.
- Bake at 350
degrees F for 30 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in the center comes out
clean and cake is golden.
- Remove from oven.
- Heat broiler. Spread Nut Topping over top of the warm cake.
- Place under preheated
broiler; broil for 5 minutes or until topping is bubbling and toasted.
- Remove from broiler and allow to cool on wire rack at least 15 minutes before