Irish Potato and Leek Soup
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 cusp leeks, chopped
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- 1 small onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 medium potatoes, coarsely chopped
- 4 cups vegetable stock or water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 1/2 cups light cream
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh dill, chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh tarragon, chopped
- In a large saucepan, heat the oil and add the leeks, celery, onion and garlic.
- Sauté over medium heat for about 7 minutes, until the vegetables are soft.
- Stir in the vegetable stock or water, potatoes, salt, pepper and thyme; bring
to a boil. Simmer over medium heat for 20 to 30 minutes, until the potatoes are
easily pierced with a fork.
- Add the light cream and herbs and return to a light simmer, stirring occasionally.
- Remove the soup from the heat and let sit a few minutes before serving.
- To thicken, either mash the potatoes against the side of the pan with the back
of a spoon or puree batches of the soup in a blender or food processor.
- Serve with warm bread.
This page may contain affiliate links. Any purchases made through these links help support Recipegoldmine.com at no additional cost to you. Please see our Disclosure Policy.